H.T. Leary Scholarship
The Western Region Jail Association is offering one or more scholarships honoring Mr. H. T. Leary. Mr. Leary was instrumental in helping establish the Western Region Jail Association and continues to be a strong supporter of the organization. He currently resides in Richmond, Virginia with his wife, Ann.
The scholarship is available to eligible students who are currently enrolled in an accredtied college, university, or technical school, or who have been accepted to enroll in such an institution. The scholarship award will be made payable to the recipient and/or the college or university.
To be eligible for consideration, the student must:
- Be a member of the WESTERN REGION JAIL ASSOCIATION or an immediate family member (son, daughter, spouse) of a member.
- The student must submit a completed application to the WESTERN REGION JAIL ASSOCIATION Scholarship Committee no later than TBD 2020. An application is available on this Website in PDF form. The completed application must be returned to Lieutenant Brian M. Geiser, Scholarship Committee Chairperson, Roanoke City Sheriff’s Office, 340 West Campbell Avenue * Roanoke, Virginia 24016, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the deadline (TBD).
- The student mut be enrolled in at least three (3) semester hours in an accredited college, university, or technical school to be considered for reimbursement. Classes are not limited to criminal justice subjects.
- The student may be required to appear for a personal interview before the Scholarship Committee.
- The decision of the Scholarship Committee is final.
You can access the PDF application form here. Print it, fill it out, and mail it to the above address listed in requirement #2.
You don’t have Adobe for PDF files? Get free Adobe downloads here.
2019 H. T. Leary Scholarship Winner
The winner of the 2019 H. T. Leary Scholarship is:
- Austin Lockridge :- Father: Keith Lockridge / Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office
Austin will be attending Southside Virginia Community College in the Power Line Worker field.
Return to the Top
2018 H. T. Leary Scholarship Winners
The winners of the 2018 H. T. Leary Scholarship are:
- Joseph Ainsworth – Father: Sheldon Ainsworth / NRVRJ
Joseph will be attending Virginia Tech
- Sydney Cox – Father: Mike Cox / Loudon County Sheriff’s Office
Sydney will be attending Northern Virginia Community College
Return to the Top
2017 Scholarship Recipients
We are pleased to anounce this year’s HT Leary Scholarship recipients as follows:
- Iman Calloway – daughter of Randall & Ernestine Calloway. Ernestine works for the Blue Ridge Regional Jail Authority. Iman will be going to Old Dominion University studying Health Sciences.
- Angel Monroe – daughter of Sterling & Angelia Monroe. Angelia works for the Blue Ridge Regional Jail Authority – Amherst. Angel will be going to the University of Virginia studying Biology. Thank-you letter.
- Logan Shepherd – daughter of Timothy & Tammy Shepherd. Timothy works for the Western Virginia Regional Jail. Logan will be going to New River Community College studying Business Management.
- Cayla Trueheart – daughter of Clarence & Toni Trueheart. Toni works for the New River Valley Regional Jail. Cayla will be going to James Madison University studying Computer Science with a minor in Health Sciences.
Left to right: Timothy Shepherd for Logan Shepherd, Tina Calloway for Iman Calloway, Cayla Trueheart, and Angel Monroe. Center: H.T. Leary.
Return to the Top